Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's day Dad



Dad in High School
 I realize I have not posted in months, but today, on Father's Day, I am missing my dad.  No one to call and remind how much I love him.  He died on March 26th, not even 3 months ago.  I thought this might be a good time to break my blogging silence.
Me, Dad, Mom, Mike 1967?

My dad was a wonderful man, not perfect, who is?   He was a man who was kind and caring.  He was an artist, but the canvas was not his only medium.  He worked well with young men and was an amazing leader of a boy scout troop for many years, helping boys become men.  I was always jealous of my brother who got to go along on the scout trips and meetings and activities.
 Dad could build or fix anything.  He created something new out of things that no longer worked.
 He was great with his grandchildren and great grandchildren, teaching them to be honest, work hard and have integrity; loved them dearly.
 He built a cabin from the ground up.
 He could decorate the most beautiful Christmas tree.  He would put on icicles one at a time.
 He would wrap a gift to perfection; just the right bow, corners perfect.
MIke, Cricket, Mom, Dad, Me 1979?
Dad loved his family.
 He loved music, but was not musically inclined.  He used to cry at our choir concerts, I never understood why until I had my own children and understood how proud he was of us and that we had the opportunities that he did not.
He loved to be outdoors.  Hunting, canoeing, fishing, (no hiking).  Camping was a family thing that we did on a regular basis.  I learned sitting silent around a campfire gazing up at the stars, pondering life's mysteries, was a wonderful thing.
Education was important in my family.  All 4 of us have both a bachelor's and a master's degree.
Mom, Shad, Dad 2013
My father and I did not always get along.  Mom always said it was because we were too much alike.  In the last 10 years of his life, we came to understand each other better.  I'm so thankful for that.  People say I am like him, and I would have to agree, in some things.  I am creative, as was he.  I am a thinker and problem solver, as was he.  I try to be a good listener, as was he.   I have thought so much about him since his passing.  Memories will come to mind and I will smile at them.  It still seems odd that he is gone.  I will see or hear something and think "I need to tell dad"  but alas, I can't.
 Thank you dad, for helping me become the person I am.  I love and miss you so much.

2 comments:

Diana said...

What a lovely tribute to your dad, such a wonderful man. Thanks for sharing it!

Heather McMullin said...

I loved reading your father's day comments and seeing the pictures. Mike's hair is almost as long as yours in the 1979 picture! Very nice tribute to your dad-so glad I knew him a little.