twenty-seven
I was going to blog about my kids, but Denise has inspired me to write alittle about me and my sweet Sterling.
I met Sterling 28 years ago while we were going to ASU. We actually had both gone to "The Gold and Green Ball" with a date, but not with each other (now, do you even know what that is?).. Hmmm...let me go back a little...
- I had been at ASU for a year, almost quit, changed my major, went back and decided to go to Europe for a few months. I skipped the fall semester after my second year, spent 2 months in Europe traveling; this after working 2 jobs to earn the money to go. I came back to school in January. The Ball was in February.
- Sterling had gone a year to EA, went on a mission, went another year to EA, almost went to UofA, came down to ASU that fall semester, while I was in Europe.
So, after the dance, we all went over to my date's apartment to play games and eat ice cream. I spyed Sterling across the room. He had not been at ASU the previous spring. I thought he was very cute, though a little short for me (a fact I would soon overlook). Over the next several months, we got to be friends, but no real dating. Our wise bishop put us together as co-chairman of the activities committee (crafty fellow), so we had to spend 'time' together. Our relationship moved at a snail's pace. It was kind of refreshing, though I am not long on patience. We moved slowly from friendship to dating to love. We always had lots of fun together. We met the family's that summer and we got engaged in October (that's a fun story, if you ever want to hear it). We were married on May 18th.
- Note to all others...don't wait that long between engagement and wedding. It was very challenging (if you know what I mean) We thought we didn't want to mess up our semester. It was already a wash, so we should have married. I've told all my kids they are not allowed an engagement that long:)
Sterling has a quiet confidence. He doesn't have to be the center of attention. He was blessed with a wonderful work ethic; both in his job and at home. He is very helpful. He never judges anyone. You will rarely, if ever, here him say an unkind word about anyone. We enjoy so many of the same things, I miss time alone with him, as family demands tend to interfere. My love for him has deepened as we have lived thru the highs and lows that marriage and family can bring. So, on this our 27th anniversary, I love you Sterling, so happy I have been blessed to share my life with you.
4 comments:
It was so neat to hear your story. Congratulations!
Congratulations on your 27 years! These days 3 years is an accomplishment, so WAY TO GO! Your story is so interesting! The stars really aligned to bring you two together!
Ooh--I'll have to ask you about your engagement at the next family gathering. :)
that's a nice picture of you two on top there. Sterling really is a kind gentle person.
Post a Comment