Sunday, March 18, 2012

Florida


Orchid at the botanical gardens.

We had a really nice trip to Florida.  Sterling had to go for work and I tagged along.  It was the first time I have gone with him and he had to work while we were there.  Kind of a new thing for me.  I have to say I much prefer spending time and sightseeing with him, but I made do. 
Our hotel, the Biltmore.

We were in a Miami area called Coral Gables, some very nice homes.  Old area, lots of large trees.
Lobby

more lobby

 The hotel was lovely.  It is a Biltmore and was built in the 1920's, had several owners over the years but was restored to its original splendor about 20 years ago.  I took several pictures. 
largest hotel pool in the US, it continues to the right at the end

inlaid wood in the elevator



 We ate one of our group dinners there; filet mignon, yummo!  I skipped breakfast both mornings, prefering to sleep in.  We also ate dinner at Seasons52 the next night; salmon, also yummo!

I spent Thursday afternoon at the Fairchild Botanical Gardens.  I love plants, maybe I should have been a botanist. 


purple bougenvilla, I've never seen this color in AZ


cococut tree

frankinsense tree

I thought this plant looked like something from Dr Seuss.  Yes that is a butterfly and yes I did take it.  Not too bad.






I spent almost 3 hours there, taking a tram tour, walking around and taking lots and lots of pictures.  They have lots of different areas around to wander in.  They do have spiders, snakes, birds, lizards and the occasional gator, so you have to pay attention.  I almost walked right thru a spider's web, with the resident in it, but I saw it at the last minute.  It rained off and on the whole time I was there.  I loved it.



Friday after he finished, we drove over to South Beach and drove up the coast a little.  It is not like in CA where you can acutally see the ocean as you drive, nope.  Hard to see it.  Lots of art deco hotels.  We did finally get a glimpse. 
the Atlantic Ocean
yes, it is a triple D.

We ate a late lunch at the Blue Marlin and then headed for the airport.  I would say the only bad thing about the trip was that Sterling had the flu Sunday and Monday before we left and I had it Tuesday and Wednesday (the day we left), so neither of us felt great.  We had a good time, in spite of it.  I decided Florida is really a lot like Phx only wetter and greener.  It is very flat, we have more hills, rocks and mtns.  They do have the beach, if you can find it.    The kids were fine at home.  Brendon and Jordon both also had the flu, Kevra missed it some how. 

3 comments:

Diana said...

So sorry about the flu. Yuck! The pictures are just beautiful, especially the one with the butterfly, and the hotel looks amazing! You are so good at capturing the beauty of little details. Thanks for the visual trip to Florida.

Erin said...

Beautiful pictures!

Linda C. said...

Wow! Those pictures are amazing. So glad you shared!