
We had a Smith family reunion over the weekend. It was here in Mesa and we had a very good time seeing everyone. We see people frequently since about 1/2 live here, but it was fun to have the out of towners here. Our family won the Family Feud. It was really fun and we like to win. We all went to the Dbacks game on Saturday, and you already know how I feel about that. This one was especially long, but it was fun to be with all the family. We had 3 rows in on the 7th row in the nosebleed section.

Jana came and took our picture. Don't know if she has ever worked with such a large, highly opinionated group. I think they turned out nice. We are a big group, and that wasn't all of us.
Sunday we went to hear our nephew give his homecoming talk in church. He talked about the people on his mission, which is what I wish all missionaries would talk about when they get home, but they don't.
Kevra had her first game against Hendrix tonight and they whooped them bad. Should be a fun season. Go Roadrunners!
Jordon wants to play viola and I have been discouraging him. Let me tell you why. Kevra plays viola and I think she was a little miffed that he wanted to too. I reminded her that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. She rolled her eyes at me. The real reason I have been discouraging it is because I think the string teacher is not nice. I know I'm a teacher and should support my fellow servants, but she made Kevra cry on more than one occasion and said some very petty and mean things to her in class. I am concerned that when she figures out Jordon is Kevra's brother, she will be less than thrilled. I know, I would hope she is above that, but she did belittle a 10 year old so that doesn't say much for her. The other thing is he didn't get a school instrument. I have never rented an instrument. I always use the school ones and if they stick with it, I purchase later. I have never felt bad like I was taking an instrument from some destitute child, I pay my taxes, I deserve something for it. Marie, what do you think? and do you know where I could rent a cheap viola if he decides to play it? I tried to talk him into cello. We are down to viola or sax.
We bought 2 new cars. It has been a couple of weeks, actually one was the cost and the other was $1 plus the taxes. It is a Nissan Xterra and we bought it with the intent to sell, so if anyone is interested, we are selling it for $22,000. That is under the cost plus what you would pay in fees, liscense, tax, etc... from a dealer. So, if you know anyone interested, let us know. It is Silver Lightening and nice to drive. It has awesome AC, which as we all know, is very important.
Brendon turned 19. He reports to the MTC in 15 days. I have been following him around, trying to get in every minute I can. I am going to miss him so very much. It is a feeling unlike any other. Happy agony, joyful misery, bittersweet, a day you can't wait to come and dread at the same time, my heart is full and breaking. We love our kids so much, we give them the best and worst parts of us, we can't wait for them to grow up and yet we sorrow when they do leave. I know what some of you are thinking, you can't wait, and you will never feel that way. I didn't think I would either, but here it is, and I do.
5 comments:
Hi Paula! Don't know if you remember me from primary...I'm just blog surfing and found you. I can't believe that Brendon is going on his mission! I only read this post though - where is he going?
Great pix of the reunion!
I'm sorry your orchestra teacher is a jerk. No fun.
Instruments? Honestly, renting is highway robbery. Those people are in the right business. Have you done an ECA tax credit for this year? I would talk to the teacher and see if she would use ECA money that you earmark for her program to get a viola for him to use while he's a student at that school. Yes, the school technically owns it, but it could be 'his' while he's there. She can buy a brand new and pretty decent student viola for $220. But if she's dumb, maybe she wouldn't do that. Although, she'd be crazy not to, because then when he's gone, she'd have an extra instrument...
those pictures turned out super nice!!! bummer we couldnt be there but there is always Christmas. and as for the very last sentence of this blog at this stage I cant wait for them to get older because hopefully we can communicate a little better :p
Hi Paula! Saw your blog on Erin's bloglist. :) Bummer about the orchestra teacher - mean adults like that should be getting coal in their Christmas stockings. I think Jordan would make a great viola player (as he is already a great little piano player, as we discovered at the last recital). Good luck with that.
Very nice pics!! How fun!! Family reunions are the best aren't they?
Post a Comment