We went with the kids to Youth Conference in Southern Utah. Our destination was the "Hole in the Rock" outside Escalante. It is a pioneer story that has been written into a fictional book, "Undaunted" by Gerald Lund. Briefly, the saints from that area were called to go settle the San Juan Valley on the other side of the Colorado River. The way to get there was difficult, they literally carved a way out of rock, and a very rough way at that. And that was only the beginning of their trials as they had lots of rough country after crossing the river. Half the adults in our group never got to go to the rock due to very rough roads that damaged several vehicles. I would love to have seen it, after reading the book, but I was glad that all the kids got to go and experience it (only drivers went with them). Almost all their testimonies mentioned how much they realized the pioneers went thru. I am determined that we will get to go, one way or another. There are some great picutures on Jana's blog of the rock and trip out to the rock.
I have to say the kids were wonderful, so willing to participate, even when it was super hot and they were tired, there were no complaints. Here are some pics of other activities we did.
Father, Son stick pull. Trevor and Jessica were there too and they were on the same day as us, though in a different small group. We did get to spend lots of time with them, which was so fun.
Some of our great kids learning the cat's craddle.
Our "Grandma Seiter" giving one of the many devotionals to help build the spirit. We had lots of fun with the Seiters and Turleys. We didn't see much of the Aceretos or other Turleys.
Since we didn't go to the rock the second day, the adults from that day went exploring and tried to get a feel for what the saints had to go thru. We went to Escalante and Kodachrome basin.
We spent very little time with Kevra. She was in the other day group and pretty much pretended we were not there. She planned the whole thing with her committee and a couple leaders. She should be proud of her efforts. I'd say it was a success.
The wonderful girls from our ward, and their fearless leader. Oh and kudos to the food crew, everything was yummo.
The last morning we got up early to see the sunrise at Bryce Canyon. It was very moving and so beautiful and peaceful. One of God's most stunning creations.
I'm so glad we went and I learned some things about myself. I also renewed my desire to do and be better.
1 comment:
Your scenery pics are just gorgeous. It sounds like such a wonderful trip. I keep hearing about Undaunted and still need to read it. Being outside in beautiful surroundings makes me so appreciative of this world we live in.
Post a Comment