Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The root of the problem

I had a root canal done today in my root canal (it absessed).  It was one I had done 21 years ago.  I remember because I was 6 months pregnant with Brendon at the time and had a hard time finding a dentist who would do it. It was an awful experience in 1989.  I left in tears (I did that with one other too)  

They have come a long way in dental care.  I have several root canals, just bad teeth, anyway all have been to varying degrees of stress and anxiety.  Today's was not too bad.  Now I know it is like comparing jumping off a cliff or getting hit by a car, but, I have experienced worse. 

While laying there in the chair, trying to think of a happy place to go, the thought occured to me 'this is why I hate going to the dentist.'  You know, like when you are rushing to the hospital with contractions to have a baby and you think 'oh yeah, now I remember why we didn't do this sooner.' 

So, it's time for some meds, now that I can feel the left side of my face again.  I'm looking for some comfort from my friends.  Just a word or two of encouragement would make me feel better.  Anybody?

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry! I cringe every time I have to go to the dentist for a cleaning, so I can't even imagine having a root canal done. Hope it gets feeling better soon!

Erin said...

I so feel your pain. I've only had one in my lifetime and plan on that being the only one! They are AWFUL!!!

Sung said...

I enjoy reading your posts very much including this one. I have a dentist who takes great care of my teeth when I visit him twice a year. I even fall asleep when he works on them because he does his job so well. Enough about him, let's talk about you. Hopefully, you are done with root canals and other nasty dental procedures. I looked at Kevra's volleyball schedule to figure out when we can go and cheer her on. I will discuss it with you soon. Just one more thing, YOU are wonderful!

Janalee said...

Oh Sung, you're just what the doctor ordered - isn't that what you were about to say Paula?

I can't remember if I've had a root canal or not. But I used to assist(dentally speaking) on many. And they never seemed like they were in much pain. So maybe it depends on the dentist? what do I even know.

Thanks for the crafting stuff. Did Kevra tell you all those things I told her that Dana said? It was funny. She's so excited about all that stuff. Got up early this morning to get busy on it. She wore a bracelet to school that she just made.

Diana said...

I hope you are feeling better. Root canals stink. Having been through both a root canal and child birth, I'll take labor pains any day! Seriously. You deserve some good ice cream!

Dianne said...

I think you and the cutest grandson in the world should get together, eat ice cream and share painful teeth stories. I know he always makes me smile! Hopefully you are feeling better now and can focus on getting ready for the upcoming return of the missionary son. How EXCITING!

Oh, and Janalee, if you had had a root canal I can guarantee you would remember it.