Monday, February 27, 2012

50


I turned 50.  I had a wonderful birthday weekend.

It began Friday when I arrived home from work and my brother was sitting on the couch.  I told him "I was hoping you would come."  You see, I went to Texas and surprised him when he turned 50.  It was only the 2 of us growing up, so we have a sweet bond.  He stayed until Monday and we had plenty of time to get caught up on each other's lives.  He went to see the ballet "Sleeping Beauty" at Symphony Hall in with me the 10th.  Kevra was going to go, but they had made a switcheroo a month ago.  It was his first time to see a ballet.  I thought it was very good, but I love ballet.  He said he enjoyed it. 
me and mike, taken with video camera so a little grainy
Saturday morning Mike took me to breakfast.  My parents came around noon.  My sisterinlaw Heather and family showed up around 2.  They were coming to hear my nephew Zach's homecoming talk on Sunday, it just happened to be my birthday weekend too.  We all went for pizza at Grimaldi's in Chandler.  We sat out on the patio.  It was a beautiful day here in the valley. 

After dinner, we went back to the house for some presents and cake.  A friend from work had made the cake, it was pretty and yummy.  Annabel, John and Joye stopped by for a little while, as did Kenny and Daniel. While I was opening some gifts, guess who walked in???  Trevor, Jessica and Shad.  It was such a lovely surprise.  When your kids are older, you never are sure when the next time will be to see them, so you relish when they come.  Of course, I shed a couple of tears.  We played some games and visited.  Trevor had to leave early  Sunday, cuz he had to work.  He left Jessica and Shad to spend the week with her family.  (He came back the next Sunday to get them, I'll post on that later.) 
Brendon, Gpa Mabry, Trevor

Sunday, my actual birthday, we went to hear Zach tell about his mission.  I thought he gave an awesome talk; I like when they tell about the people they worked with and the things that he did.  Good  job Zach!  We went over to Linda and Mannie's for lunch.  It is always nice to get together with family and get caught up on what everyone is doing.  The bigger the family gets, the less we do it.  I got lots of happy birthdays and gifts and cake.  I got to spend the rest of the day with Mike, someone else I don't get to see very often.

It was a great birthday.  I don't feel 50, well... most mornings.  It was so nice to feel loved.  I'm so blest with a wonderful family; my own family, my brother and his family, my parents and Sterling's family.   

4 comments:

Sung said...

Oh, Happy Birthday Paula! You are one of my favorite sisters in the whole wide world. When I see you and talk to you, I feel right at home.

Janalee said...

I remember you telling me how liberating turning 40 was. So are you completely free now?

paula said...

I guess, how can you be more free then free? I think I did not need to feel more free.

paula said...

That came out weird. I am at a different place in my life then I was at 40.