Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First day of Summer?


Well, summer is into full swing, even if today is the first day of summer.  Here is a little of what we have been doing.


Brendon and Kevra are at Philmont.  They both have settled in nicely.  Kevra is working with small kids at the training center and Brendon is a ranger, hiking his heart out.  I miss them so much.  It is very quiet at our house. ( I have to say dishes and dinner are easier to get done and cleaned up. )

Trevor is off to sea for the summer, so we won't hear much from him.  Jessica and Shad have some trips planned, but I'm sure she will have some long days trying to keep Shad busy.  Hang in there.  We are hoping they make it to Mesa, hey, I'll even chip in for gas money, cuz we would love to see them both.

Jordon has been to baskeball camp and Scout camp so far this summer.  He had a great time in Thatcher at camp, getting to spend 4 days with his favorite cousins.  They did well at Scout camp too.  The director told their scout master how impressed he was with his boys.  Jordon had a fun week.  He said his air mattress was awesome.  Sleeping well makes all the difference.  He is happy to be home for a while, though I do think he misses having the siblings around.

Registration, don't they look cute and clean?
I, too, went to basketball camp and hung out in Thatcher with my sis-in-law Heather and Joye, my mom-in-law.  It was a nice week.  I think Joye was ready for all of us to leave by Friday.  It is hard to have 5 add ons when you are used to being alone.  I finished some painting projects, a book I had been reading (the Girl who could Fly) and started a new crocheted baby afghan.  I also went to the Trek for our Stake as a staff member.  It was a wonderful experience.  I spent 10 hours on the first day in a follow truck over the very bumpy roads.  It was really kind of fun, we ran a few errands back and forth, got lost once and picked up kids along the way who were struggling.  I got to know Noel from the other stake very well, and that was so nice.  The 2nd day, I was doing the taffy pull during the workshops with Diane and Elenor.  For 4 hours, we made 12 batches of taffy (13 if you count the first one that burnt).  They went great and the kids were happy for a sweet treat.  (I had a pic of Sterling and me that Jana sent me, but I can't find where I saved it.  I know, Computers for Dummies, get me the book)  Sterling came up too and did the hatchet throw during the workshops.  I was also in charge of the Hoedown, but due to some unforseen mishaps, we cancelled it.  My fiddlers car broke down 30 miles before Payson, so they never made it up.  We were also running behind on time, so it was just as well.  The fireside that evening was with Elder Wright, the area president.  The setting was so beautiful, tall Ponderosas behind him, the 140 kids seated on the ground around him.  We had a speaker system and lights that we were going to use for the hoedown, so it was well lit.  The stars were bright above and the evening was not quite cold, but close.  Perfect.  3rd day I helped with 'church' since we called that our Sabbath.  The kids had solo time and FHE after that, so we packed up and left.  My parents had Jordon and were wanting to get out of time asap, so we picked him up a day early.  I have to say the kids were so impressive on the trek.  They were so happy and enthusiastic.  Yes, I'm sure they were hungry and tired, but there was very little grumbling or complaining.  I would go again in a heartbeat, even though I know the many meetings for planning I would have to go to:)

Sterling and I also went to Flagstaff last Saturday for a wedding.  The woman I teach with got married, so we went up.  It was outside and really lovely.  She is about 30 and she looked beautiful.  She worked an extra job to be able to pay for everything, so I know the day came with lots of sacrifice.  We also got Kevra all signed up for her apartment and dropped off a few pieces of furniture.  It is really close to campus and she can walk to the institute, so that will be great.  I am excited for her.  I loved college so much, it was a wonderful experience for me so I'm hoping it will be for her too.
love this picture!
I still have a family reunion, girls camp and a trip to Gallup coming, so I'll let you  know how those go.  Right now, I'm appreciating some time at home to get a few things done.

No comments: