Tuesday, July 3, 2012

YW camp


I spent last week trapsing up and down the rocky hills of Camp Lomia.  It was really a wonderful week, though you may not know it to look at me on Friday, I was so tired. 

Good things, great things...
clowning around

  • Girls - they were so well behaved and happy and enthusiastic.  We only had one cabin with drama, and it was managed.  I was super impressed again (Trek) with our young women and what wonderful spirits and attitude they have. Couldn't ask for better.
  • YCL's - those are the youth leaders and they were awesome.  They worked well as a group, made important decisions together and basically ran every activity.  I can't express how they really made camp great.

  • Planning- our director and asst. did a super job of planning before hand so everything ran smoothly.  Even when there was a need for re-adjusting.  They handled it well.  They really were so good at letting the girls run the show.  Megan's devotional the last morning was perfect.  She and Marie were a cohesive team.

  • Food - Claudia planned easy, delicious meals.  She and Jen were another great team in the kitchen.  We helped a little, but they were the driving force.
  • Staff Cabin - What a hoot?  We had so much fun laughing, dancing ( "good night ladies ...") and sharing our lives this past week.  No major snorers, so that was good.  I always had someone to potty with at 3am (thanks Deb).  Playing dominos, driving to Payson.  The staff was so much fun.
frame from my lesson

bottle cap button from Deb's

Paper bag scrapbook, again, amazing Deb

  • Cute crafts - I just think girls need to create and we made some really cute stuff that the girls loved. I don't have a picture of the large initials they decorated to take home and I wish I had a picture of the 'shine' blocks our ward made, they were super cute too.





Not so good...
  • HOT - it was hot, all week, no relief, few clouds, not a drop of rain.  I thought I would die. (but 'Death at Girls Camp is a Bad Plan')  I don't do well in the heat, so it was particularly challenging for me.
  • Rocky hills - I did struggle on the rocky hills that were everywhere.   Thank goodness Shandra brought of my walking stick up, it really was a life saver for me.
Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat, what a pleasure to go.
 Just let me rest up a bit before we do it again. But until then ... Carry On:)

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I've only heard great things about the trek and girls camp! There are some pretty amazing youth leaders in our stake!