Saturday, August 25, 2012
Comings and Goings
Summer has ended at out house, although it is still super hot, we are all back to school. We had some excitement the last couple of weeks, with Jessica and Shad coming to visit a little and the kids coming home from camp. I will work my may backwards from today.
We took Kevra up to school on Wednesday. She had only been home 4 days, so was super busy trying to get packed and ready, while still spending time with us and her friends. I think it was exhausting for her. It was a lovely, cool day in Flag; we got rained on as we unloaded her stuff from the truck. I think she was expecting her room to be bigger, nope. It's pretty small, but she will make it work. We spent the day looking for a bike, getting presciptions filled, yummy pizza place and picking up some last minute items for her. I swear every Freshman and their parent was at Target. It was funny cuz all the parents were busy 'helping' get their stuff and all the kids looked like they were ready for mom and dad to go home. Ahh, leaving the nest, time to spred those wings. I hope we have taught her enough. I guess we are only a phone call away. My mom always said 'you teach them to be independent....and then they are:( ' That is what we want, that is the goal, but it does hurt inside too. We shed a few tears and hugged goodbye. She has not called us once....guess we did a good job, maybe too good. Ha.ha. Truly, I'm excited for her and hope she has a great semester.
Jordon had a court of honor last Saturday. He got several merit badges, he had earned most at camp. He has 15, needs 21 for Eagle. He is just days away from Life. His goal is to do his project next summer and be done. I think that is a great goal. If I nag him enough, maybe it will happen. I'm good at the nagging, I do have 2 other Eagle Scouts. I did, however, let up near the end; letting them decide if it was something they wanted to finish or not. Both did, I'm figuring the 3rd one will too, and earlier than the others.
Brendon and Kevra got home that same day, around 3pm. I guess they got an early start. We were all sooooo excited to see them. Jordon made them a welcome home sign and put it on the door. Kevra's friends had decorated her room, and she was tickled about that. They told us all the stories of camp and laughed and giggled. They were most interested in eating food, good food, real food. It was kind of funny. I would suggest something for dinner; no not that or oh, that would be great. I think it was a good, memorable experience. I think both of them learned a lot; about themselves, about working with others, about being on your own. It was good for them both to be there, even though they did not spend a lot of time together, it was enough and good to have that support system and to have shared this experience.
Jordon did not have the greatest first day of school experience. They had messed up his schedule (I had been trying since May to get it right, don't get me started on the fiasco!) He spent most of the first day in the office, missed most of the correct classes, came home tired and discouraged. Thankfully, they got their act together the next day and he came home happy and has been ever since. We are off to a good start, hooray!
Jessica and Shad were in town for a week the beginning of August. We got to spend a few hours with them. I wish it had been more, it is never enough. Shad has grown so much and is talking away. It was fun to have them over to swim and eat. Trevor got home right after they went back to CA, so they are back together after a summer apart.
Whew! That's about it for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Being the mom of adult children is rough! I'm sure each phase comes with it's pros and cons (having watched my own mother over the years), so I guess all we can do is enjoy the good times as they come.
Good job "nagging" on the scouting...I also intend to "encourage" my three boys when the time comes - hopefully they don't try to pull the "Well, Dad isn't an Eagle Scout" card :)
LOL - seems like Joel always gets a calling in scouting though, must be karma :)
You've done well! We keep nagging Hunter. He could have had his eagle 1.5 yrs ago but kept putting it off....b/c be had time. Our original rule was "no wings, no wheels" (no license). However, since he keeps dragging it and is close to turning 16, we finally said no eagle....no permit. Funny how all of a sudden his attitude has changed and he's shwoing an interest in completing it.
I can't even imagine sending a child off to college. I cried like a baby taking Mattson to kindergarten....was NOT planning on that, especially since he had been in preschool for 2.5 yrs (taking a bus).
Post a Comment