Friday, August 17, 2012

Hot, lazy summer ends (soon?)

cool picture of a summer haboob, I did not take it.

I haven't written forever.  I kind of just vegged the last few weeks of summer before I had to go back to work on the 2nd.  Hard to imagine I have been back to work for 2 weeks.  We've had kids for a week and a half.  I was not ready to go back.  I have had a few issues this year, I will not elaborate on, but it has been a struggle to get in the swing of things.  I do enjoy the kids.  Overall, my classes have been great, and I teach some very challenging kids in a couple of the classes. 

It has been so hot lately, reminds me I really do hate the summer weather around here.  I've missed my kids so much this summer.  The 2 away at Philmont for 12 weeks and the other out to sea for 8 weeks.  I only got to talk to him once.  Jordon has learned how to live with just mom and dad.  He said it was not as bad as he thought it would be.  Ha, Ha.  I thought that was funny. 

Last weekend, we went to my parents to help my dad with his shed/art studio he has been building for 3 years.(we have been up several other times to help at various stages of the build) Sterling was awesome, working away painting and hooking up the electrical.  I went out to help build the small deck on the front so he could safely get inside.  Jordon helped painting too. 

It was interesting to work with dad, he has slowed so much more than I realized.  He would only last for a short while, then would sit and rest and watch us work.  It is a hard thing for him.  He has always been able to dig right in and get the job done, but I really think he has reached the point where it is overwhelming to him.  I feel that way about big jobs some times, but for me it is more not knowing where to start.  It made me almost sad to see him so slow.  I guess that is life by the time you reach 81.  I'm just so thankful he is still here.  He is in pretty good shape too.  He was a smoker until I was in high school and he finally quit.  I know he would be dead long ago if he had not stopped.  Think of all the things he would have missed: weddings, graduations, births, 2 great-grandchildren, to name a few.  My mom no longer drives, so he is the main driver. I sometimes wonder what the future holds for us all, what will happen with their health, what will I need to do to help them, how long will they be here.  These are things you think about when your parents are aging.  I love them both so much and am so glad they are just over an hour away.  You can't worry about what the future may hold, I have no control over it.  I can only enjoy time with them as often as I can and hope that I can help when the time comes.

1 comment:

XO said...

We are watching my grandparents age right now too. It can get silly sometimes (they both secretly voice their concerns about how much the other is "forgetting") but it really does make you feel grateful for the time they have been given. The time we all have been given. I'm sure that being a new mommy is making me extra sensitive too, but I feel so lucky for these gentle reminders to slow down a bit and enjoy the time we do have here with eachother.