Sunday, October 14, 2012

Boston

A few weeks ago, Sterling and I went to Boston for a long weekend.  He has to travel a couple of times a year, so we went before his meetings, then I came home. 
If you have never been, I HIGHLY recommend it. The trip was really wonderful. We walked the freedom trail, visited Concord and Lexington, went to the Orchard house where Louisa May Alcott wrote "Little Women", a novel based on her life, saw the Boston Temple, went to a game at historic Fenway Park and saw the green 'monstah'.



The old South Church along the trail.  The freedom trail is a red stripe down the sidewalk you follow thru town, learning about all the history of the Patriots as they planned to sever their ties with England.
 
In front of the first school Benjamin Franklin began.
 


The old North church.  'One if by land, two if by sea.'
 
Inside the church.

Statue of Paul Revere behind the church.  He was a brave man who took a huge risk to cross the river and ride thru the countryside sounding the alarm that the "British are coming." 

Yummy Italian place we found in little Italy.

Paul Revere's  house, 300 years old!  It leans a little inside, very cool.
 

Bunker hill memorial, where the war began.  Sterling climbed the 294 stairs to the top.


USS Constitution, ship from the fleet in 1812.  Really interesting tour.


Harvard football stadium.  No trip would be complete w/o a stadium.
 

Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox. Celebrating 100 years.

The green Monster.
 
Lake at Minuteman National Park.  I loved the reflection.

We saw a great movie about the minute men.

They were  having a 'fashion show' the day we were there, showing how British uniforms changed over the years.  These guys are into it. Super authentic.

Musket demonstration.

Monument at the North Bridge outside Concord. 

Orchard House, home of L.M. Alcott.  She lived around the Civil War era, friends with Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne.  We were amazed at how well preserved it was, very interesting place.
 
Of course, a post would not be complete w/o a flower picture.
 
 
I was so impressed by the courage it took for them to be willing to sacrifice so much to overthrough the government.  They were truly amazing and dedicated to the cause of freedom.  The weather was perfect, not a lot of trees turned yet, but we loved the cool breezes.
 
 
 

2 comments:

Diana said...

I would love to go to Boston. Looks like such a fun trip. It's so neat that you are able to travel with Uncle Sterling and enjoy new things together.

Christy said...

I love Boston! But I'm pretty sure you've seen more than I have. And I lived there!