Saturday, November 17, 2012

A new normal

These pictures were taken one week before they found the cancer.

The past week has been a rollercoaster of emotion.  We have talked to Trevor each night and gotten an update on Shad's condition.  I have cried my way thru Jessica's blog with great anticipation and fear for the latest news.  I have also read her mother's blog for strength and encouragement. Thank you Dianne for your faith and words of wisdom.  We had receive good news that the cancer is very treatable, but the road of treatment will be long and not without its bumps and challenges. 


I have thought a lot about this change to their life.  I have gotten mixed responses from people when I share this news with them.  I have asked people of a variety of faiths to pray for Shad and his parents.  I have learned that there are many people out there who are devout in their faith in God and more than willing to pray.  Shad is on the prayer roll of the Lutherns, the Presbyterians, the Catholics, the Evangelicals and of course the Latter Day Saints. 

I have gone from the fear and sadness that he will not survive to the hope and joy that he will with as few a changes to normal as possible.  Many ask me why God would allow this to happen.  I don't think God makes bad things happen.  He is a parent, just like me, just like Trevor and Jessica.  A parent would never want bad things to happen to their children, but they know that in this life experience, bad things do happen.  We work our way thru them and hope for the outcome that we want.  Our previous life experience is gone and we now have a new normal. Shad is adjusting to this new life, so are his parents.  They are on the road that leads to recovery and remission.  It is always good to know you are on the right road, and that there is an end.

My new favorite word is HOPE.  It is a good thing, maybe the best of things.  Hope for very few side effects from the treatment.  Hope for more joy and less sorrow along the way.  Hope for Shad to be 4 and well and whole again. 

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Hope is a great word! We are so grateful for the ALL the prayers that are being offered for everyone involved. Thanks for raising a great son to be Shad's daddy and Jessica's husband. You should be proud of him.

Diana said...

Such beautiful thoughts. Your family is in our prayers every night, especially Shad. Hope is the best of words.

Linda C. said...

Yes Hope and Faith. We love you and your family and pray for you all each night.