We traveled to CA to see T, J and S over the Thanksgiving weekend. Thursday morning we went over to the hospital to see Shad and Trevor and Jessica. I was a little anxious, worried about how he would be feeling or if I could hold it together. I was so happy to find Shad in good spirits amongst trying circumstances. We visited with him and Trevor and Jessica, then Sterling and Kevra and I went back to their house to put together Thanksgiving dinner. I have to say, everything turned out yummy. (I had made pies and brought them) Sterling and I ate then went back to the hospital so they could all go eat while we stayed with Shad. I am so glad they let us do that, I know it was hard for Jessica to leave him, but we had a good time. We played catch, watched a movie and a few short "goodnight" tv shows and games on his ipad. He happily chatted with us and I sat next to him holding his hands and rubbing his head and arms. After the kids came back, we stayed until it was time for him to go to sleep. Trevor and Jessica had been staying with him in his room.
Friday, we went over to the hospital and waited for them to release him. All were a little anxious, but it went fairly smoothly. Shad does not like putting on his brace that he needs to wear to sit up, but he is fine once he is in it. They put him in a wheelchair, since he has not worked on walking yet. He will have his back repaired much later, so for now, he needs to wear the brace. We made it home fine and he did great sitting in his chair the rest of the day. Jessica, Kevra and I did a little shopping while the men watched the ASU, UofA game. Shad slept well that night, not a peep. We left Saturday around noon to come home.
It was a Thanksgiving like no other. I have to say, it really made me think how much I have to be thankful for. Shad is doing really well. He is in good spirits and his normal sweet self. I am thankful for that. I am grateful for modern medicine, that gives him a fighting chance to survive this. I am thankful for his wonderful parents. They are an awesome team. I am grateful for their faith and how it strengthens mine. I am thankful for my children. They were all so terrific with Shad this weekend. I am blessed to have such great kids. I am thankful for a sweet husband, who knows me well and is there to hold my hand and walk a little slower with his wife. I am thankful for the gospel that binds my family together. I have so much to be thankful for.
1 comment:
So glad that you were able to spend a few days in California. I definitely like being there and in the loop of what is going on more than being at home imagining what is happening. Watching Shad act like Shad and seeing Jessica and Trevor handling things with faith and love helped me feel better about the whole situation and it sounds like it helped you too. I too have much to be thankful for! Hope life goes well for you as you gear up for the holidays and get through the semester at work.
Post a Comment