Sunday, April 14, 2013

being domestic


Look what I did yesterday.  Aren't they cute?  I have to say, I was so proud of myself.  When we were in CA for Thanksgiving, Jessica, Kevra and I went to Joann's and did a little shopping.  They had flannel super cheap and Jessica said she had made cute  receiving blankets using 2 different patterns.  We bought a bunch and I finally got around to making them.  I gave the red/pink owl one to a niece at her shower yesterday.
Funny how things stay with you.  I could hear my mother's voice reminding me to pre-wash my flannel; to make sure the grain of the fabric is going the same direction for both the front and the back. Clip the corners...not too close. She taught me well and I will be forever grateful.  I have 3 more cut out ready to sew together. Here is the site.
I actually used a decorative stitch on my machine.  I have sewn for 45 years (I started very young) and the only stitches I have ever used are straight and zig zag.  (My sis-in-law said " I thought zig zag was a decorative stitch?" I only ever used it to finish seams).  Back on topic... It was so fun and easy! I was shocked.  I ran wild thru the possibilities and had trouble deciding which one to use.  Now I keep thinking, what else can I use decorative stitches on?


I also made some healthy muffins tonight.  Both recipes are from Pintrest, supposedly more healthy.  The light ones are supposed to be Strawberry Chocolate chip, but the strawberries in my fridge looked questionable, so I cut up a banana in chunks instead.  The dark ones have carrots, squash, bananas and I added blueberries.  They were also supposed to have oat bran, but I had none so just used oats instead. Okay Jana, go ahead and tell me about oat bran.  Could I have made it from my oats?  They taste yummy.
  
Oh,...did you notice some are a little smaller around (not shorter), but not mini?  I inherited these two medium sized tins from my mother, in one of her many boxes she fills with stuff she thinks I need that she doesn't anymore.  I have never used them much cuz they don't fit cupcake liners, but the muffins came out clean with a little Pam.  Who knew? 

3 comments:

Diana said...

Yes! Pinned your link and your blankets turned out so cute! Can't wait to try and make a few myself and maybe I'll try and use a decorative stitch on my machine too! Muffins look great too. It was fun to talk to you on Saturday.

Janalee said...

I'm not fluent in oat bran, but I don't think you can blend your oats to create it, that'd just be oat flour. Is my professional suspicion.

Dianne said...

I love your blankets and they look so professional with your decorative stitching. I like that you made several at once. I tend to make one at a time and then 6 months down the road I have to re-learn the process all over again. Good Job!