Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day




Today is Mother's day.  The day set aside by Woodrow Wilson to honor our mothers and tell them that we love them.  It seems to me like both those things should happen everyday. 

What does it mean to honor my mother?  I show honor to my mother everyday by the way I live my life.  I honor her by being the kind of person she hoped I would be.  If I live the values she taught me, then I show honor to her.  Not by some crystal sculpture or wooden plaque, but by who I am. 

Tell her I love her?  Everytime I talk to her.  I try to show her I love her by treating her kindly.  I have not been so good at this one lately.  She is 81, does not see or hear well.  She can be very frustrating sometimes.  And yet, I remind myself constantly when I am with her, that she is my mother; I do honor, love and respect her.  Now, unfortunately, I am forced to think that this may be the last time I see her, everytime I see her.  Our roles, in some ways have changed.  I am the care giver now.  But, she is still my mother and I still want to honor her role and remind myself of the countless sacrifices she has made for me.

Gifts?  Well, who doesn't like a gift.  A token of appreciation.  I don't think they are necessary though.  If it was bought at Walgreens at 10pm the night before, no thanks.  If it is something from the heart, thought about...great!  I have a folder full of handmade cards and pictures from the grade school years.  One of my favorites was the card where the teacher took a snapshot of each child holding out a bouquet of flowers, as if they were handing it to me, pasted it on construction paper and let the kids do the rest.   My favorite gifts are doing gifts.  Mom's have so much to do that doing something to lighten my load is always welcome.

So, should I call mom today and tell her that I love her, once again?  Absolutely.

No comments: