Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Santa Fe

Sterling and I got away for a weekend in May to celebrate our 25th anniversary. It was a terrific weekend. Here are some pictures from the trip. I recommend Santa Fe as a nice couples get away. This is the football stadium at the University of New Mexico in Albequerque. I know, Sterling has this strange fetish of taking pictures of all the stadiums in the places we visit. This is the temple in Alb. We did a session on Saturday afternoon, it is only a 45 min drive from Santa Fe. It was really nice, I haven't been there since we took the kids to the open house years ago.This is the living room of where we stayed. It was a time share of my brother's and they let us use a weekend. It had a nice little kitchen and bedroom and bathroom. Really nice place, right downtown.

This is the famous staircase of the Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe. It is only connected to the floor and the balcony, not the wall and it has no center support. Originally it had no rails. The story goes that the nuns had no way to get to the choir loft they had built, and a normal stair case would take up too much space in the tiny church. They prayed for help. A man showed up out of nowhere and offered to built the staircase. He used no nails and the wood was not wood you would find in that area. After he finished, he left with out payment. The nuns patron saint was Saint Joseph (as in Mary and ..) so they believe it was him who came and built the stairs. They really are beautiful, as is the little church. It was neat.

Sterling loves that show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, so everywhere we ate was from that show. One was not so good, all the others where great. This was the best one. We both had something yummy.

25 years, 25 more to go, at least.

3 comments:

Denise said...

That staircase is amazing. And what a cool story.

I just watched that drive-in, diners ad dives for the first time the other day and I loved it. I am so into little places like that, does he have a book or something to show places he's been?

paula said...

Yes, there is a book with some of the places he has been. Of course, Sterling has it.

Erin said...

That's awesome! What a fun get-a-way. Loved the staircase story. :)