Sunday, June 28, 2009

Gone too soon

This has been a very difficult weekend. I hesitate to share something so personal and painful, but this is a journal, of sorts, so my thoughts and feelings are left open. I hope this does not offend Heather, whom I love dearly and would never want to hurt, especially today.

We got a call Saturday around 7 pm and were told that Sterling's sister Heather and her family were in a car accident. Several in the car were injured and one of her children had died. I can't explain how I felt at that moment. It was not real. It couldn't be. Those things happen to other people, but never to us. Savannah, 13, gone so soon. No parent expects to out live a child. I'm sure John and Heather's pain is without measure.


(picture is Jordon, Savannah, Leah)

So let me share a little about Savannah. She was a beautiful, talented girl; who played the piano beautifully, was always very helpful to her mother. She was the middle of 5: 2 older sisters, 2 younger brothers. She liked time to herself and loved to win but hated to lose at games. She loved to sing and dance and act. She was a terrific student and avid reader. She truly lived the YW values. I can say with out any reservation, that her Heavenly Father was proud of her as was her earthly father and mother.

Life is a fragile thing. How people make it with out the knowledge and peace the gospel brings, is beyond my level of understanding. I struggled thru church today, tears off and on all day. I was worried about Heather. In sacrament meeting the choir sang, "Lord, wilt thou fill my soul with peace, that pain and sorrow there might cease. Let songs of praise and of glory fill my ear, and may they holy spirit linger near." The soloist sang "Come ye disconsolate... earth hath no sorrow that heaven can not heal." I know God loves us and that He feels our sorrow and our joy. He is a parent too. My thoughts and prayers are with John and Heather and their family.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Our prayers go out to you and your family. I can't begin to know how hard this must be but you're so right, what a blessing to have the gospel.

Janalee said...

I went back and found the pic of that family I had in my files. that's so heartbreaking and makes me leerily wonder what my future holds.

The Young's said...

I'm so sorry. I will pray that your family and those who knew her will be comforted.

Last year, a family in our ward in Chandler lost a son in a car accident. It was so hard for all who knew this family (even if we didn't know the child). Know that the Lord is there and wants to comfort us.

spice2116 said...

i just left the hospital today. we are traveling to utah tomorrow it was very hard to leave. although heather seriously gets better by the second it is still hard to see the bruises and pain she is in.

love you very much enjoyed your post

Anonymous said...

I too was in tears most of the time @ church. But a friend read a book about a man who had died but came back to life. And he said that those that were taking from us instantly are the ones that will help us make it on earth. Thank you so much! I'm amazed by how much prayer & faith can help!