Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Almost over

Unlike most of you, who look forward to summer's end so the kids will go back to school (I do feel that too some), but it means I have to go back to work. I do like teaching and do like the schedule and the pay check.  However, the days of free time to nap on the couch or take in a movie on a whim, are almost over.   I know it is coming because I've been accidentally typing my school email rather then my personal one, I have started thinking about my classes I will be teaching, I'm starting to organize my time, I'm trying to squeeze in any last minute appts or things that need to get done before I go back, oh and last but  not least, my kids are starting to get on each other's nerves.  They usually get a long pretty well, but I have been noticing more skimishes of late.  On the way home from Payson, I told them they were not allowed to talk to each other at all.  It was a quiet ride home.

Yes, we took one last trip to Payson last week.  We actually went to visit my parents and help them with some projects.  Sterling helped my dad put up drywall in his shed.  They got it almost done.  I use the word 'shed' loosely, it is more like a cute little 12x8 house, complete with front porch, ac, two windows, siding, etc... It is really nice, dad says he is going to use it to paint.  He is a wonderful artist, but we shall see if he does it. It rained every day we were there, it was so nice, we loved it.

 I helped my mom with a quilt she is making.  She says it will be her last. It is a surprise for Brendon, so don't say anything.  It was a quilt he actually started years ago and finished about 30 blocks, but as we all tend to do, he lost interest and never finished.  I had volunteered to do it several times, but he said he wanted to.  Anyway, when we were cleaning out his room before the mission, we came across it and I asked if he would let me finish it; this time he said yes. I told my mother about it and she asked if she could do it for him.  I have been so proud of her, it was not easy for her.  She does not see well and never really got the hang of the cutter, but she is a good seamstress, so did fine on the sewing.  It is a random, scrap pattern, so she did not have to match seams and corners, which was good.  She finished all  96 blocks and I came up to sew them together and into the quilt top.  I brought it home so I can quilt it then mom will bind it. 
I think it is really beautiful and she did a great job.  She was very proud of herself.  (If you noticed she has a black eye, you are correct, she fell camping)  It is a scrapy pattern so the black is not supposed to meet exactly.  She thought is was a little bright, but I love bright and cheery quilts. 

Brendon will be so surprised and appreciative. (7weeks)  Now all I have to do is get my part done. 

5 comments:

Sung said...

Wow, what a beautiful quilt! You guys did a great job making it. I am sure Brendon will be very happy with it.

Marie said...

I love the colors and the pattern! It is amazing.

DA said...

Wow. Love the quilt!!!

Diana said...

I love the quilt. I'm sure he'll love it, and it will be such a treasure knowing that three generations of love went into creating it. Enjoy your last few days of summer, I know we're trying to as well!

Linda C. said...

Beautiful quilt and made with so many loving hands. I'm sure Brendon will love it.