Me: I was wondering if you could tell me when my son will be released from his mission.
her: When is he supposed to be coming?
Me: September.
her: Why do you need to know?
Okay, let's stop right here for a moment. I found out later that she is new in the office, little senior missionary and clearly, unsure of what she is doing. Why, seems like an odd question; oh, I don't know maybe so we could PLAN on when to go.
Me: Well I have family that would like to know so they can make some plans.
her: Let's see....(paper shuffling in the background) I have some info for November returns, you haven't heard anything?
Me: Nothing.
her: It says something here about the 22nd- 25th. Yes, I think he will be coming in on the 25th.
Me: I doubt that.
her: Why not?
Me: That's a Saturday, don't they usually come on their pday?
her: Oh....yes....let me call you back.
Not even a whole minute later...
her: Hi Sister S, I found out he will be returning on the 20th.
Me: Great, can you give me the flight number and time? (I was ready, pen in hand)
her: Oh.... you want to know that too? Hmmm...well, it will be sometime in the night or late evening, not after midnight, most likely earlier then that....etc....
So that was it, not much help. We did, however, get his itinerary this week in the mail, from her (I know..., she obviously learned something after we hung up) I appreciated her making the effort to figure it out. Sept 20th, 8:18. I'm soooo excited to see him.
Me at the hotel before we left for the airport.
I was thinking back to when we met Trevor. Of course, it was a little different cuz we went there, so I had lots of other details to think about and not just seeing him. It was wonderful. We got to the airport in Brussels and they were not there. It is a single long terminal, in a not very large airport for an international. We wandered around looking useless. There were about 7 other couples that were clearly waiting for missionaries, but none of us spoke to each other, we were on a 'mission'. I planted myself next to a door and hoped. After about 45 minutes, a Senior missionary came thru the door. I looked over at Sterling who was standing, he smiled, he saw the 'tag' too. We started searching. They were not behind the one we saw. We finally spotted them coming up the terminal. It is a sight that still brings tears; like an Army of God they came, dragging their stuff. The ones who had parents there were looking around. We searched for Trevor. There he was. That moment, after two years. Finally to see him, hug him, talk to him. I'll never forget it. It is one of those moments that when people ask you to think of a wonderful memory, this is where I go.
I'm so proud they have served the Lord, learned so many things, experienced new things and grown up. So I have a question, if you served a mission, do you remember coming home? I guarantee your mother does.
5 comments:
wow! that is a funny phone call but definitely exciting because now you know when he is coming home
Love it! Brought tears to my eyes. Reminded me of when I came home.
Ah, this made me get all teary-eyed.
I served a mission, but mine was different. I served in Utah and was released days before Christmas...and my parents were en-route to Utah at the time.
My SISTER ended up picking me up from the mission home, and my Mission President released me (so I didn't have to wait 2 weeks before we flew home). When I saw my mom, at the airport (we picked her up)...I was waiting for her to get off the plane!
My dad on the other hand, came in another day after the family. I met him at the trax station in SLC. It we good, we hugged. My mom on the other hand, cried and cried and cried.
I remember going to three brothers airport pickups. So fun and teary. really good memories of that, so I can only imagine how great to see a son.
I cannot believe he'll be home so soon! Such exciting times. My boys are little still, but I know I will be feeling similar feelings as I see them home from their missions all too soon. What a wonderful and life changing experience.
Post a Comment