Monday, January 3, 2011

Goals?

Apparently, they talked about setting goals in RS yesterday.  I was teaching about the New Testament in my 8 year old class.  (They are going to be fun to work with, but I have to remember what 3rd graders like to do, it has been a while.)


So back to RS and goals.  I was given a booklet with the term "smart" goals.  Now, no offense, but that term sets my teeth on edge, like fingernails on the chalkboard or styrofoam rubbing together.  You see, we have been dealing with "those kind of goals" at work every week for an hour, early in the morning, for the last 5 months, to the point that I could ....  well you get the idea.  I do think goals are very important.  Why:


Without goals and plans to reach them you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination. (Dodson)


However, I can't set smart goals, I just can't do it.  Sorry Erin.


Looking at last years goals, I think I did rather well.  If you recall, in January I decided on a word to base my changes upon.  HEALTHY.


healthy attitude; accentuate the the positive, eliminate the negative
   I have changed the way I look at the world and am much more able to not dwell on negative things.


healthy cooking; including new recipies, having fun trying them
   We have tried a ton of new recipies this past year, some wonderful, some not so, but love trying new things.


healthy bank account; saving more, spending less, being creative, paying things off
    We were doing very well, til the van had it's catastrophe last summer, but we are getting there.

healthy testimony; doing those things that strengthen: search, ponder and pray
    I have put scripture study back in my life, to the point that I miss it when I don't have time and have to make myself stop when I'm reading, because I get involved.  I have learned to love the scriptures like never before.

healthy relationship; time spent with Sterling, nurturing relationships
   This one still needs more work.  We do spend time, but we need to work harder on being together.  It just gets so crazy with kids and all to carve out the time.  This one stays on my list.

healthy family; less dr visits, learning and practicing more holistic alternatives
   Other then Edson's voodoo juice, I have not mastered this one.  No,  I have not gotten the courage to rinse out the sinuses yet either.

healthy conversations; spending time with those I love, listening, laughing
   Yes, I did better at this one: time, playing games, camping with extended family.  I need to work on listening, I still interupt when I should be listening.

healthy activities; making time to be outside, trying new things
   Yes in regards to camping some and hiking, but still need to get a regular exercise program going.


healthy self-esteem; take time to take care of myself, my needs, feel good about who I am 
   I really worked on myself image this year, and I have made some major changes to how I feel about myself.  It has improved some of my relationships and I feel a personal peace inside, even on my most stressful days.  Oh, I still have melt downs, but I am learning to recognize my needs and take the time to take care of them.  I wish I had done this years ago, but we can't go back, only forward.


I also had some other goals of 10 (for 2010): 10 visits to the temple, 10 books to read, 10 sunsets with Sterling, 10 days camping, etc...  I ended up doing about 5-6 in each category.  That's okay, it is an improvement.


I have not decided on this year yet, I'm still mulling it over, but I will set some new goals soon.  Not sure if I will post them, come back and see:)

4 comments:

Breanne said...

This is awesome. You should feel great about this. Thanks for your honesty & inspiration.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on your scripture reading experiences; I'm hoping to center my goal around this one.

Thanks for sharing.

Janalee said...

oh paula - the sinus rinse is a painless even joyous affair. But don't expect it to change your life or be an instant cure-all. Do expect it to be a little gross but a lot invigorating.

Erin said...

Just so you know - the SMART goals thing was just to help. If it doesn't work for you or for some others, no big deal. The point is progression. Sounds like you're doing fantastically! Hope you share your new word for the year.

Diana said...

I love this post, love your honesty, and you've given me some things to think about in myself. I know scripture study has taken a back burner lately, and your words make me want to do better. Can't wait to hear your new word!