Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Table that

I have always hated the top of our kitchen table.  Over the years, it had become a collector of grime.  Newspaper grime was the worst and I could never get it off.  It also had lots of deep scratches.  So I decided I would refinish it. 

Well, not sure what it was finished in before, but removing it was a disaster.   I tried sanding.  It would gum up the paper and would tear it in only a few seconds.  I tried 2 different strippers, one was old so I bought a new one, nope, didn't do anything but leave a mess on the top.  It was extremely frustrating.  I finally gave up, so we were left with an un-useable table. 

We have had the set for about 15 years.  I have glued or screwed the chairs together 3 times (2 were broken and un-useable, so I took parts from each and made 1 we could use, so down to 5 chairs total), so maybe it was time for a new table.  I went looking online and at the store, but they were not my 'country' style and were way too expensive.  Hmmm.  What to do?  

Oh, yeah, Craigslist.  Sure enough, found a couple of choices I liked much better, went and looked and bought one.  About 1/4 the cost of a new one, it is about 5 years old, gently used (recycle, yes!:)  It has a leaf to extend too, the top is tile.  I'm happy.

2 comments:

XO said...

It looks just perfect for your theme - I adore Craigslist. ALL of our major appliances were bought using it and (knock on wood) we haven't had troubles yet!

Erin said...

Love the new table! Can't wait to see it!