Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Trip part 2

We left Tuesday and went to Montecello, UT to see the temple,


 then down thru Blanding to Bluff. 

We went to Fort Bluff.   It is a 'museum' of sorts that is dedicated to the Hole-in-the-Rock expedition that youth conf did last year. 

Bluff is where they ended up, for a time, it didn't last and most ultimately moved up to start Blanding.  But the museum is wonderful, very much worth seeing.  It starts with a short movie about what happened, and anyone who read the book or went last year would eat it up.  The video has lots of great arial shots that are terrific and give you a great view of the terrain they had to make it thru. Then, outside are about 14 small cabins, each dedicated to a family from the original group.  They are decorated by the descendants of the families and it was neat to see.  Here are a bunch of pictures, I did not include all that I took.





This is an original wagon from the expedition.
 This was the RS Meeting house.  It was very pretty.  The quilt is a signature quilt and all the names of the original group were signed, in their honor.

















Outside of town, we stopped at Gooseneck State Park.  I took this picture. I had to stand close to the edge, but not too close. That is the San Juan River, winding its way along.


We headed off to Monument Valley and loved the beautiful rock formations.
 

The kids had a Harry Potter-athon  and watched all 7.  It was a lot of time in the car and I am grateful for their ability to entertain themselves.  A quick, memorable trip.

1 comment:

Janalee said...

Read the book, went on the trip and I AM eating up that place with the biggest, most silver spoon. I want to go there! I'm sticking it on my list.