Sunday, August 28, 2011

an opinion

Remember my no new clothes resolultion.  Well, I am ending my 10th month and my resolve is waning.  I am in need of new clothes, not just want, need.  Many of my work items have either a stain or a small hole.  I really do need some new clothes, especially for work. Here are some things I have learned on this journey:

1.  I want to dress a little better.  I was always 'sale rack sally' and would buy things that I did not really like, but were on sale and I knew would fit okay.  I really want to stop that and get things I want, not just whatever.  Not that I'm not still going to try and find a bargain, I just want to be more particular.

2.  Clothes do wear out.  One year is a long time.  They get stained and pilly and just need to be moved along.  Clothes need to be replaced.

3.  I don't need a closet full of clothes. It is not bad to want to look your best, but how much is too much.  I have way too many that I never wear for whatever reason. 

4.  I don't need clothes or shopping to make me feel better.  We all have something we do when we are feeling down or even up.  I have more then one.  Shopping was one, when I was sad or bored or joyful, I would let my fingers do the walkin on my keyboard and shop.  Not huge amounts of money, just something for a pick me up.  The past 10 mths I have tried to look at what is the cause and address it instead.  Am I always successful, no, but I keep exploring my inner self and learn new ways to face my frustrations.

5.  I could do this.  I could learn to live on less, need less.  I could be satisfied with what I have and use it up or wear it out. I have met the challenge

So, I'm asking for an opinion.  Should I stop and shop?  Simple question.  Have I learned what I needed or is it more important to see something thru to the end?   I really would like your thoughts.

7 comments:

Marie said...

Your flowers up top are pretty!

In my opinion- do what you feel is best:) I see the value of seeing something through to the end and finishing (Wow- 10 months- you are so close!)

But I think there is also this whole other level of being able to realize that life happens and sometimes you have to alter or re-adjust your goals to be realistic. Then learn what you have, use that knowledge, and move forward accordingly.

Regardless of what you chose- what an accomplishment! and I think your thoughts on what you learned are excellent points. Thanks for sharing.

Diana said...

Wow, the first comment really said it all. Ditto.

It will be enlightening for you to see just how differently you purchase and think about purchasing items when you go out and get some new clothing.

I find myself drawn to the sale rack for a good deal so often, then wonder why I even bought things that I didn't care that much for. When you limit yourself, it really does make you more selective in your buying. Some really good food for thought.

Janalee said...

Sounds like you learned many important things..would you learn anything additional in two more months? maybe just pushing through the hardest part. the "transition" before birth. I haven't noticed you dressing in pilly rags, but then I'm not inspecting closely either. I did hear someone talking admirably about your challenge recently - can't remember who.

Stick it out is my vote. Then you can purchase just in time for the holidays. This will be over end of OCtober? Perhaps the Ultimate Halloween costume? it will fly by.

remember. push! ppush! and then wahhhh!!!

The Young's said...

Does purchasing 2nd hand count (like goodwill)? I mean, its new to you...but not really new, and if you only buy things on their 1/2 of tags or dollar days, its pretty cheap.

If you need things for work, then I say buy work items. Heaven forbid someone tell you you need to wear something different. Wait for the "fun" things when you're done after a year. However, 10 months is a long time...and I commend you for sticking it out this long!

Trevor said...

I say stick it out if you think that you accomplished alot in 10 months think of what you will get out of 12. You can make 2 more months.

paula said...

Thanks for all your thoughts, I really appreciate it. I think I am going to 'go the distance' and see it thru to the end. Maybe I could start saving some money to spend:)

Christy said...

I was totally going to say do it! Stick out the last 2 months. I talk about this goal of yours to people all the time! It's awesome!

Youll have to do another post in 2 months and tell us if itwas worth sticking it out.