I finally finished the quilt for my sister and brother in law. It has taken me 2 years. It took me a year just to decide what pattern to do. I pitched several ideas and never felt good about them. It is made from the clothes of the daughter that died in the car accident. She was 13, full of life. I hope it will still have the same meaning for them, even after all this time.
I didn't want it to be just another t-shirt quilt. I wanted it to say something. Her clothes were mostly solids, a few patterns, so I went and bought some patterns to include. I tried to put colors together that fit together, but didn't necessarily match. There is a color story, as your eye travels from one block to another, you should see a color that bonds them together. I wanted it to be cheerful, full of good memories to cherish. I think it is.
| back |
| front |
I did something I have wanted to try and never have. I quilted it from the back. I found this awesome print that looks like tie dye with butterflies. (it is actually a batik) Savannah loved tie dye and she had several clothes with butterflies, so I figured she liked those too. I machine quilted around the butterflies and then meandered between them, as if they were flying. I'm still learning to keep my stitches an even length. It is a lot harder then you think.
It was truly a labor of love, mostly for my sis-in-law Heather, my BFF. Hope it brings warm, happy memories.
5 comments:
Wow, it is truly LOVELY! I am sure your BFF will treasure it.
Love it! It does have that happy, good memory feel, just like the sweet girl who wore those shirts. So well done, and I know it will be a treasure.
Magnificent, Paula. What a fantastic way to "warm" the memory of this little girl.
that's gorgeous. I like hearing the details of all the extra thought and work you put into it. we need to know these things!
Wow! so lovely! And even more special because it was made with so much love.
Post a Comment