It has been a busy fall for us. We have made several trips and we aren't done yet. I kinda need to stay home for awhile and get a few things done.
2 weekends ago, we went to Ohio with all Sterling's siblings, spouses and his mom. She generously paid for travel and lodging. It was a wonderful trip and we had a good time together. We got to see all the neat church history sights: the Morley Farm, the Johnson farm, Kirtland Village and of course, the Kirtland temple. It was amazing to think that Joseph himself and all the other people you read about, had walked where I was walking. That the Savior and Heavenly Father appeared in several of those places. Here are a few of the 320 pictures I took (love digital). The trees were lovely, I think I have at least 100 pics of leaves and trees.
 |
| Lighthouse at Fairport Harbor on Lake Erie. Many Saints landed here on their way to Kirtland. |
 |
| The Johnson farm (Kenny not Sterling). |
 |
| Parlor downstairs where Joseph and Emma most likely slept while at the Johnsons. This is where the tar and feathering happened. That floor is painted to match the original wood floor. |
 |
| There we are. |
 |
| Whitney store. |
 |
| Inside the store. It has been restored, but he kept such great books that everything in there is what he actually had in stock. |
 |
| The temple. The inside looks almost the same as it did then. |
 |
| The crew. |
 |
| The cemetary was next to the temple. I thought this was a lovely thought from Parley P. Pratt to his wife Thankful. |
 |
| A few more leaves to get you into the fall mood. |
We ate yummy food, enjoyed each other's company, got along very well, got lost a few times, enjoyed being cool. So, here are some important things that I came away with.
1. How much I love Sterling's family. What a blessing they are in my life. I'm so thankful to get to be a part of such a wonderful family.
2. Of course, the blessing of belonging to Christ's church upon this earth. How blessed I feel that a 12 year old girl had the courage to call and invite me to mutual. It set me in a direction I don't think I would have taken on my own.
3. How thankful I am for Joseph Smith and all the early saints. Their courage and strength give me courage and strength. One of our missionary guides pointed out that they were just living their lives and this was part of it. Just like we live our lives and don't feel they are extraordinary, but maybe they are.
4. Lastly, we would never have known any of this had people not taken the time to write down what they saw, did and felt. We need to take a lesson and write down our lives. It is vital to the future that they get a glimpse of our life thru our own eyes and words.
3 comments:
I'm so jealous you went to Ohio! We went there almost yearly, in the fall. I love the John Johnson Farm and everything about Kirtland! Did you taste any of the apples from the farm? Sounds like a fun trip!
Paula, I loved reading and seeing this post. Your pictures are beautiful and it sounds like you guys had a great time. I love seeing your fun and diverse travels- thanks for sharing!
I want to go there!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment