So, he came, he went; it was just about that fast. Here are some of my thoughts on what I saw, felt and thought on Wednesday.
Saw: The video shows all I saw of him. Unless we were one of the chosen few, we did not get a ticket to the gym. There were a few teachers who went with school tickets, they were chosen 'randomly.' I'll not go there. And there were many students chosen supposedly randomly too. I'm not sure how they were chosen either, but no grumbling. Most of the student body got to see them like you did; on a little screen in the classroom. The only joy was knowing that he was in our gym. We have 2200 students, by the time they gave out 700 local tickets, gave some for state dignitaries, some for district whohas, there were maybe a 100 or so left for our school. There was no way all were going to get to see him.
Felt: I have to say the excitement was really fun and even though I was out of my room for the day because that end of campus was closed, I didn't mind the inconvenience. They shut down the entire east end of campus, all pe and math portable teachers had class somewhere else. Noone was allowed over there, security was tight. The kids were excited. The anticipation was great, and all the sprucing up of campus. FYI the grass was already budgeted for and had never been put in (supposed to have been finished last fall) so we were all happy to get grass. The kids felt let down when they weren't even allowed to see him drive in, the police were shooing the few who were out front back into the school, I'm not sure why. I got to see him arrive cuz that is my prep time.
Final Thoughts: I am not a big Obama fan, didn't vote for him and am very concerned about some of his ideas and where they will lead the country. I am, however, an American and support the current president, whoever he is or until his does something to devalue his office (think Clinton, intern, enough said). I have to say it was very cool to think that he was coming to our little school, that our kids could say he had been in their school. Only a handful of places can say that, so though we didn't get to actually see him, it was wonderful that he came. If I had any advice for the president, it would be to take 5 minutes and acknowledge those kids in whatever school he is at. It would have been very simple and safe for him to come out into the courtyard of our school and let all the kids out there to get a glimpse of him. Stand up on a riser and give them a wave.
So that's it, quite a day, one to remember. Sorry about the video, that was the best I could get and I apologize for the lady behind me taking the Lord's name in vain. She was a little too excited.
2 comments:
holy cow what an amazing experience. glad we had protestors for the abortion rights other than that i will support presidents
lol I love the lady behind you :) I think she needed to chill just a little bit.
Post a Comment