Monday, July 13, 2009

Joy and Sorrow

We got back Saturday from our trip to Texas. We went to visit my brother who lives just south of Fort Worth in a town called Burleson. We also stopped at Carlsbad Caverns on the way. The kids really liked it, so interesting and kind of amazing. If you have never gone, you really need to do it. It was hard to take pictures in there, so mine don't do it justice. The other picture is of the Guadalupe Mountains, the highest point in Texas. (we were only moderately impressed.)
At Mike and Peggy's house, we got to see their kids (none live with them, all grown up) and
meet the new grandson (Mikey), he is 16mths
now and super cute and fun. He and Jordon really hit it off. I know Jordon will be a wonderful uncle in a few months. We went to a Rangers game and I decided I love the Dbacks indoor stadium; theirs is outdoor and it was HOT. The game was good and the fireworks afterward were awesome. We had a nice 4th, bbq'd and played cards. This picture isof part of the group in front of their house. (very nice, new, they just moved in last Thanksgiving) We ate the best ice cream I've ever had at a place called Braums, and I am not a big ice cream lover but this was yummmmy! Super creamy.

We went down to San Antonio and went to Schlitterbaun. It is rated the best waterpark in the USA and it was huge and fun and exhausting. I got sunburned and the kids had a blast. I decided I was past the stage in life for water slides, but I did like some of the other water stuff they had. It was a fun day. Next morning, we went to see the San Antonio temple, really pretty, grey granite. We stopped by the Alamo and Riverwalk before heading back to El Paso. Here we are at the riverwalk, if we look hot, WE ARE, the humidity was aweful.



We went on to Gallup on Wednesday so we could help Heather and John out before the funeral on Saturday. I was so glad we could do that and we were happy to help with the house and laundry, etc... I felt so helpless when it happened and I am thankful we were of some small service to them. Heather is doing amazingly well, in a neck brace and has to take it easy, but is up and around some, I was impressed with her progress. Truly a miracle. The rest of the family started arriving on Friday afternoon into the evening. We had a party for her youngest, Kyle's birthday and Sterling's mom's 80th ,with cake and presents and games then set off fireworks outside. It was kind of an odd thing to be so joyful the day before the funeral, but it is hard for our family not to enjoy each other when we get together and I think Savannah would have been happy that we were loving each other. Saturday was difficult, the funeral was about an hour and I thought very comforting. Her dad gave a beautiful talk and her sisters both participated in the service. Her YW leader also shared some lovely thoughts about her. I sang a duet for the closing song with my neice and though we struggled thru some parts, I think we pulled it together and the message of the song came thru. There were at least 500 people there, the chairs were full all the way to the stage and many of them were not members of the church. They also invited anyone who went to the graveside to come to the luncheon and I think there were about 300. I think it was a wonderful missionary experience and I know there will be people who want to know more, lots of blessings mixed in this tragedy.

We drove home Saturday evening after the funeral stuff. It is alway nice to go, but even nicer to come home. The dogs went biserk when we got back. They were sooooo happy to see us; nice to feel loved.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Your Texas trip looked like so much fun. I want ice cream now... I agree, it was so good to be together for the weekend, even though it was for a sad event. Your song was beautiful and I felt so comforted at the funeral too. We are so blessed to have our families and the gospel.

XO said...

It IS nice to feel like you can be of a small service to someone who has gone through so much. What a trajedy!