Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yummy Jam and Gingerbread Pancakes

When we were on vacation we had Gingerbread Pancakes at the Magnolia Cafe in Austin, TX. I looked online to find a recipe. There were several and this was our first attempt. They were very good, could have used a little more ginger, though it did have molasses. I added more milk cuz they were too thick. Seems like we have been winding down from the vacation.

Kevra had a successful Youth Conference, at least she and Sterling were exhausted. I think it went well and she enjoyed it but is happy to be done. She has been learning the cello this summer and made pretty good progress. It will help when school is in to play every day in class. She is doing Dobson Volleyball camp until the end of this week.


Jordon is getting a little ready for school, though I think he would hate to admit it. He is still going to Kaju, but only thru August. I wish I could get him to read more. I am not a good example, but he has hardly picked up a book this summer. I used to make my kids read in the afternoons, after lunch, but have gotten lacks over the years. I am open to any suggestions you might have.

Sterling is still looking for work. He has some tax stuff he needs to finish up. I think he was not expecting finding a new job to be such a challenge, but it has been. It is all done online, you never speak to anyone. I guess that is why they say networking is the best way. Keep us in your prayers. We are doing fine financially with the severence pay, but that won't last. He has been a great help around the house, finishing up projects, etc... I haven't gotten hardly any of my summer plans done because I keep getting drawn into his to do list.

The quilt group I have been teaching is done and they look really great. It was a project, and I don't think people realize how long it takes to finish. We are planning to continue with projects thru enrichment activities, for those that wanted to join. I am trying to make Christmas presents with stuff I already have. I have collected so many things over the years that I have never used, so will need to buckle down and git er done.

Here is what I made last night. It is apricot/pineapple jam (thank you Annie for the recipe) and I had to cook and seal it and everything. I used my steam canner; it is not a boiling bath but uses less water and steam to seal the jars. I usually just make the freezer, which is a lot less trouble. I made two types of jam this year, this one and Strawberry/blueberry freezer jam. It is yummy good. I guess I was into mixed jams. I will probably give some away for Christmas gifts to friends. It could be you.


5 comments:

spice2116 said...

we will keep sterling in our prayers!!!

aunt heather suggested bedtime reading to me and i love it if they dont want to go to bed right away they can read until they fall asleep or want to. i dont know your bedtime routine but its an idea :)

Diana said...

When you find the perfect gingerbread pancake recipe, I'd love it! We are serious pancake eaters at our house. The jam looks delicious too. I did a mainly homemade Christmas last year and it was so wonderful that I think I'll continue. I'd love to see what you're doing. Sterling is in our prayers. This job market is awful...

XO said...

gingerbread pancakes sound GREAT!!!! I'll have to look up a recipe too.

DA said...

The pancakes sound good! I think we could use some spicing up when it comes to pancakes.
I'm glad the jam turned out well--it sure looks beautiful!
And Kevra did a great job as the youth leader for youth conference. It was like a marathon with all the fun activities they planned.
Our prayers are with you in your job search! It's crazy out there.

Unknown said...

Gingerbread pancakes?? Why didn't I think of that! Where's my whisk?