Sunday, June 8, 2008

Miracles

Sterling's nephew had a baby born with a heart defect and was not expected to live. She did live and all seemed fine for 13 days, but her heart failed and she left this earth on Friday, safe in the arms of her parents. The miracle is that she came for a short while and felt the warmth and love of her family. The despair is that she couldn't stay.
I have been pondering the topic of miracles for a while now. I want to say I have faith that miracles happen, for I have seen them, but I struggle with why some get a miracle and others don't. We have a man in our ward who was not supposed to survive his bout with cancer, but now has been given a clean bill of health. The cancer is gone. Truly a miracle. Sterling has a cousin with lung cancer. We pray for a miracle, but she is doing the best she can.
Why some and not others? Do some have more faith than others? We can't all have a miracle. People must die, it is part of life. Is it all predetermined and if so, why bother with the faith? I think I already know that answer. This life is one of obedience, learning, becoming.
My heart aches with Thomas and Kim, Kathy and Gary, Dave and Karla. I rejoice at their triumphs and sorrow at their disappointments.
I know God lives. I know life is eternal. I know I have a lot to learn.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Paula, sorry to hear about the baby. I often wonder the same things. Your family will be in my prayers.

Erin said...

So sorry to hear about the baby! Absolutely beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

spice2116 said...

miracles are the gift that help us keep going :) melody has definitely been that :)

Janalee said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with those exact questions. Sweet little angel. And the poem is lovely