One of my goals this summer was to read 3 books. As you know, I'm not much of a reader, mostly because if it is good, I can't put it down, then I get nothing done. I read "The Help". Everyone who read it said I needed to read it, so I found a soft back on sale at Target and bought it a few months ago. I got around to reading it this week.
It was really good. Excellent!, and I would highly recommend it. I wanted to read what happens next to these characters. For me, it was about people learning to see that maybe what had always been ok really wasn't. It begins in 1962 in the south. I was born in 1962 in Texas. My dad is from there and my parents lived there for 3 years while he finished college. I was born 4 months before he graduated and they moved. But, while they were there from 1959-1962, after they had first moved, it had been about a week and my dad was running out of socks and asked my mom why she had not done the laundry. She said she went down to the laundry mat but the sign said 'No Colors" and she had whites and colors to wash. My dad about fell off the bed laughing. True story. She had no idea that it meant people. Growing up in a small southern Utah town, she had never seen a sign like that.
I like when a book makes me think about myself. It is a fictional account, but many of the things in it were true. Would I have the courage to do the things they did? Would I be willing to stand up for what is right, to risk the safety of myself and my family? How do I see myself in this world?
I looked up the trailer online, cuz I knew they had made a movie from the book, it looks good and is supposed to be out in August. I highly recommend the book. You can borrow mine when Jessica is done with it.
3 comments:
And didn't it almost make you feel deprived that you didn't have an 8-hour a day maid AND at the same time proud of yourself for making it without one?
I loved this book! We read it in our book club. It made for interesting discussion.
In a way, yes Jana. I kept thinking how clean their houses must have been, mine has never been that clean. And also if they had been paid what they were worth, it would have cost a fortune.
Post a Comment