Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 4 Saturday - Ode to Barkley


We put Barkley to sleep this last week.  He was 15 years old.  We had gotten him in Nov. 1994.  We always said he taught Kevra to walk cuz she was still crawling at 14 months and he would nip at her toes and try to jump on her back, though he was smaller then she was.  She finally had enough and got up and walked.  I was looking thru pictures (yes, actual snapshots you can hold in your hand!) looking for my favorite one of him and Kevra at the top of the stairs when we first got him.  He was so cute and small, so was she.  This was the earliest one I could find.  Look, Brendon is already a scriptorian, more on that tomorrow.  But this is about Barkley.  He was a great dog, got him at the pound, occasionally bit small children (hey, he was protecting his turf).  I realized looking at the pictures, that he was in so many with us, so much a part of our memories.  He loved to play catch and you would tire long before he did.  He would cuddle up behind my knees when I took a nap.  I hate to say he was a part of the family, after all he was a dog, but he is part of lots of memories.  He adored Sterling and it was really hard for Sterling to decide it was time, but he did it.  So, here's to our pets, who become a part of us and always give us unconditional love.  We'll miss you Barkley.


2 comments:

Trevor said...

oh Barkley he was a good pup

Erin said...

So sad to hear about Barkley! Totally understand how that feels. While I was away at college, my parents had to put my dog to sleep. She was soooo old. It was sad!