Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day 5 Sunday- I hope they call me on a mission


I have had several people asking about Brendon, so I will give you an update. He is 110% missionary.   Last transfer he was transfered to a Issaquah and made a zone leader.  He had been in Milton for 4 transfers (6 wks each) so was ready for a change.  In Milton, he had one very ill companion that ended up going home and 3 greenies.  I prayed that Brendon would learn patience on his mission, boy has he.  It has been interesting to read his emails as he grows in the gospel and learns how to teach greenies to become missionaries.  His last companion wanted to go home and Brendon's goal was to get him to stay the whole transfer, which he did and became more enthusiastic about the work.  I had wished that Brendon would go somewhere he could play the piano and he hasn't at all.  The Lord knew what he really needed. The first picture is of him on the Temple grounds, cherry blossums.  The second is of his first greenie, Brendon said think Best Two Years, he was really gungho. (the pictures where taken with my camera of pictures, so are a little blurry, our scanner is not working)

When we went to Philmont in 2008, Pres Dahlquist, who was at that time the General Young Mens President said in a talk that we need to teach our kids to do hard things.  Part of Brendon's last companion's problem was that he had never had to do anything to challenge him in his life, his parents had done everything for him.  I have never been on a mission, but from sending my two boys, I know it is the hardest thing they have ever done.  It is also the best and most rewarding.  So here is my plug, teach your kids to be self sufficient; to pick up after themselves, to clean, cook, wash.  Give them opportunities to do things that are hard for them, learning to work thru the problem or activity.  Don't give them every little thing you think they need.  That's it, my little lecture for the day.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Thanks for the parenting tip! I need all the help I can get.
Brendon left right before Julie was born. I can't believe he's been gone that long. Time flies!

Erin said...

Glad he's doing so well! It was the toughest thing I ever did -- mostly due to companions. A great part of it made me who I am today!

The Young's said...

Very true. A missing was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but one of the most rewarding. Unless someone has served one, they'll never fully understand the truth to that statement.

BTW...Pres. Dahlquist was the Branch Pres. of a singles ward I was serving in, in my mission, when he was called to be the YM Gen. Pres. We had just been in his ward and talked with him the Sunday before he was called. LOL