Monday, November 9, 2009

Day 6 Monday - Sew much fun

I worked on a schrug for Kevra's dress for homecoming on Saturday.  It  took me about 2 hours, which was not too bad.  The fit could have been a little better, but she said it was comfortable and I was so happy to have found fabric for it that matched perfectly.  I also had to "modestify" her dress.  Shame we have to do that, but we do.  Yes, you are right, I procrastinated it all week, but I was confident I could finish in time.  No pressure.  She looked very pretty and she had a good time. 


I am thankful my mother taught me to sew.  It is a skill I have used a whole bunch and one that I usually enjoy.  I remember starting as a very small child, about 6 or 7,  she would give me a needle and thread, cut out a simple doll dress pattern and she showed me how to sew around it, by hand.  I have tried to teach Kevra, but she is not interested at all and we usually end up in frustration.  I did teach Brendon to machine quilt, he was a very willing pupil.  I still love to go to the fabric store and wander thru the fabric, thumb thru the pattern books.  I guess it is kinda like my dad in a hardware store, I am right at home. I could spend hours just browsing and planning new things to make, if only I had the time and the energy.   I have made several sweet dresses for Kevra over the years, especially when she was young.  It is not as economical as it once was, I still have patterns that are marked 25 cents.  (I know, I'm ancient) Do you sew? 

5 comments:

Diana said...

I learned to sew early on and still love it!

Erin said...

It is a beautiful dress! I love the color! I wish I had more time to sew. It's just not my "season" to do it as often as I would like. :)

Sung said...

Kevra is so beautiful. And I love the dress! Her date is pretty cute also. Yes, I do know how to sew but haven't had any urges to sew these days. I am sure one day I will feel like making a dress for me. Maybe when Brandon gets married... :)

Denise said...

I have a sewing machine. My mom helped me make night gowns for the girls for Christmas last year and I like sewing but it's such a pain to get it all out and fight the kids off that it just doesn't happen very often.

Bianca said...

I love to sew. I've been sewing since I can remember - 8 years old maybe? Started sewing my own outfits at 10. I too like Project Runway and So you think you can dance. You're right about the economics of making your own clothing. I can find a peice of clothing on clearance for what a pattern costs.